Thursday, May 1, 2014

100 Day Challenge

     For the last few months, I have taken up the KLOVE morning show 100 day challenge. The 100 day challenge was designed to get you to do something better for that many days, or give something up that would better you. I chose to give up social media. In this day and age, social media websites seem to grab most of our attention for most of the day. I'm an owner of an iPhone and noticed before I took the challenge upon myself, the usage time of my iPhone battery was 7 hours. With 24 hours in a day, and a give or take 8 hours of sleep, that means only 9 hours of my time was used to indulge in conversations with my family members, friends, coworkers, fellow classmates, etc. It's also the only time out of my day that I could spend with God. That's less than 1/3 of the day! When I realized how much time I was on my phone on social media websites such as Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Vine, and Pinterest, I was honestly in shock. I'm pretty sure we could all spend hours on social media. Which is the problem. It's selfish! 
       God gave us another day, and we spend it wishing we had that car, that boyfriend, that house, those clothes, or just simply judging the lives of others online. 11 "For I know the plans I have for you”—this is the Lord’s declaration—“plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 You will call to Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart." -Jeremiah 29:11-13 (HCSB) Now don't get me wrong, when used correctly social media is great! I am not by any means bashing it. There are pro's and con's to it as there is to anything else in this world we live in. What I am saying though, is social media should be used wisely. "Be careful then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of time, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:15-16 (ESV) Uh how perfect is that verse? Time is what you make of it. You can use your time wisely, or if you don't there will be obvious consequences. So manage your time better, limit your time on social media! I am certain you will see a difference in not only your mood, and behavior but also of those whom you interact with on a daily basis. Eye contact?! Whoa. A 15 minute conversation without interruption? Daang girl (or guy)  look at you go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment